Food Allergies/ Classroom Celebration Menu (Safe Foods)
SCHOOL DISTRICT OF HAVERFORD TOWNSHIP
The district is providing you with the following information to help you understand the food allergy issue in the classrooms and school, the requirements for the USDA Smart Snacks in Schools, and the revised SDHT School Wellness Policy # 246
ALLERGEN-FREE CLASSROOMS (example: Nut Free Classroom)
1. INDIVIDUAL CLASSROOM SNACK WILL BE RESTRICTED TO ALLERGEN FREE SNACKS (example: if the classroom is a classroom, ALL students must refrain from bringing in snacks with nuts and nut oils).
*HANDS OF ALL STUDENTS IN CLASSROOM MUST BE WASHED PRIOR TO AND AFTER FOOD CONSUMPTION.
*DESKTOPS OF ALL STUDENTS IN CLASSROOM MUST BE WIPED WITH DISPOSABLE WIPES BEFORE AND AFTER FOOD IS EATEN
2. LUNCH- NO RESTRICTIONS
3. SCHOOL INITIATED CELEBRATIONS: Classroom Celebration Menu
ALL SCHOOL/GRADE LEVEL INITIATED CELEBRATIONS (Non-Allergy Classrooms) should use the Classroom Celebration Menu.
Birthday celebrations will NOT include the consumption of food or drink. Alternative suggestions for birthday celebrations are included below. We encourage you to participate in one of the listed activities.
To honor a student birthday, we ask that non‐food celebrations be arranged with the teacher at least one week prior to their special day. To minimize disruption to the instructional day, we also ask that these celebrations be limited to no more than 10 to 15 minutes.
Instead of consumable items consider the following:
• Reading a favorite book to your child’s class
• Donating a book to the classroom or school library with a birthday inscription
• Asking your child’s teacher to honor your child’s birthday during the Morning Meeting time
• Teaching the class a simple craft, art activity or game
• Providing a small token to classmates in honor of your child’s birthday
• Engage the class in an activity that centers on reading, drawing and/or other interests your child may
• Engage the class in a cultural activity that will expose our students to something unique about a
Parents may provide Classroom Celebration snacks OR items may be pre-ordered through the
SDHT Food Services.